Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team 62 - 0 Bro Ffestiniog RFC | 1st Team
John Llyr Pugh
Try 3
Conversion 3
Ianto Sion Pari
Try 1
Deio Brunelli
Try 1
Mathew Parry
Try 1
Gwilym Parri
Try 1
Osian Jones
Conversion 2
Robin Jones
Try 2

Match Report
18 February 2018 / Team News

Pwllheli RFC 62 Bro Ffestiniog RFC 0

The Bro match was preceded by a fixture between Pwllheli's Under 8s and Nant Conwy Under 8s. The enjoyable contest was enjoyed by all.
Conditions for the Match with Bro - which was a League and North Wales Conway Landrover Quarter final - were mixed. The rain had cleared and the wind played little part in the game. The pitch itself however was saturated after the incessant rain of recent weeks and the high water table at Bodegroes. Conditions became increasingly difficult for the  players as the surface cut up badly.
Pwllheli showed their intent early in the game as they utilised their exciting back line whenever they could. After only two minutes the created space for full back John Pugh. His pace did the rest as he touched down wide out .The conversion missed. Bro stood firm and both their forwards and backs brought physicality into the encounter. Pwllheli's organised defence  held firm and kept their width. On ten minutes a searing move put centre Ianto Parri in the gap and his pace and power did the rest. John Pugh added the two points with a pinpoint wide angled penalty. Bro did well in the set pieces but in broken play the home side were able to recycle the ball quickly. In the thirteenth minute it was a quick  release of  ruck ball which allowed the three quarters to give John Pugh the room to outpace the cover to score his second try.
On twenty one minutes forward Carrog Roberts went off with a blood injuryt and was replaced by Harri Roberts.
Bro upped the tempo and pressured Pwllheli. They used their pack effectively to punch holes before releasing their backs. Pwllheli however kept their shape a did well to keep Bro out.  It was not until the twenty eighth minute that Pwllheli scored their fourth and potentially critical try bonus touch down. It was Gwilym Sion who touched down and John Pugh slotted the conversion. Pwllheli kept their foot on the throttle and camped themselves in the  Bro twenty two. A series of scrums ensued and Pwllheli were able to generate a nudge. Several scrums collapsed under pressure and finally referee Elliott Mayer's patience ended and he awarded a penalty try.
Half time - Pwllheli 31- Bro 0.
The second period saw the Lleyn side start at  a blistering pace.Again the pack laid a solid foundation to allow hteir backs to display their skills. It was Pugh who scored first when completing his hat-trick of tries after nine minutes. He converted his own touch down. Three minutes later fly half Mathew Parry scored a well taken  try - his first for the club. The conversion attempt missed. Only three minutes later centre John Pugh scored his side's eight try.This too went unconverted. Pwllheli then brought on three substitutes Osian Parry Jones who had been off with flu, Harri Roberts went to the back row as did experienced ex captain Dafydd Anwyl. Pwllheli then immediately lost a prop with a yellow card but there were still two more tries to come. Both were scored by left wing Robin Hughes Jones .The first cam after twenty four minutes and his brace came thirty five minutes into the half. One was a typical long range score which particularly enthused the large crowd, Osian Parry Jones had taken over the goal kicking duties and he converted both tries to complete Pwllheli's scoring.
Given that both sides had not played much competitive rugby of late because of the weather and Six Nations this was a match of some quality. Both teams were committed  and showed stamina and skill. Mention too must be made of the referee Elliott Mayer  who showed considerable empathy for the game and tried to allow the game to flow.
The Conway Landrover Man of the Match was deservedly awarded to Pwllheli's full back John Pugh.
The 1 XV now face yet another enforced lay off . They next play on March 3. This is a tough away match against second placed Bala RFC.
 Pwllheli's Second XV lost by 17-3 to a determined Nant Conwy side.
Pwllheli Youths had an encouraging away win in the North Wales Youth Cup against Caernarfon winning by seventeen points to eight.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos