Llandudno RFC | 1st Team 30 - 18 Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team
Tom Parry
1 Try
Dafydd Anwyl Williams
1 Try
Osian Jones
1 Conversion
2 Penalty

Match Report
15 October 2014 / Team News

Llandudno RFc 30 Pwllheli RFC 18.

Pwllheli RFC much appreciated the minutes silence before the start of the match  as a gesture of respect for ex captain  Gareth Parry who died on Thursday week.

The game started well for Pwllheli. With the wind at their backs they decided to keep the ball tight and after only one minute they were awarded a penalty when Llandudno killed the ball. Osian  Jones slotted the kick.Llandudno used their jumbo pack and heavyweight centres to make ground. This time it was Pwllheli who killed the ball and Llandudno's fly half  LLoyd Griffith slotted the kick.  The vistors upped the tempo and on nineteen minutes they nudged ahead with a second penalty from Jones. Three minutes later they latched onto a Llandudno error deep in the Pwllheli half.Four pairs of hands put captrian Dafydd Anwyl clear and he scored wide out.   The conversion missed. Llandudno countered and as Pwllheli slipped off tackles in midfield full back Ryan Parry crossed over for a well manufactured try. Five minutes later the crowd was given an action reply as again Llandudno used the bulky twelve to punch holes for wing Huw Griffith to score wide out.

Half time came with Llandudno leading by thirteen to eleven.

Pwllheli changed the mix at the start of the second period bringing on the subs. Pwllheli responded by scoring another long distance try on twelve minutes  by flanker Tom Parry after a strong break by centre Butterworth. Osian P. Jones added the two points. Pwllheli held the initiative for the next few minutes but inexorably Llandudno's pack got onto the front foot . This gave their speedy backs the edge and it was no real surprise when the home side drew level with a try from wiing Nick Maxwell. Four minutes later the crowd saw the same move with the same result. This time it was flanker Lee Davies who scored their fourth and bonus point try. Pwllheli tried to stem the tide but the impetus was now all with the home side. Their fifth  try was disappointing for Pwllheli as they slipped off three would be tackles as wing Huw Griffith secured his brace on thirty six minutes. Llandudno's ten added the conversion.

Pwllheli are already ruing their fragmented pre season. Players are taking time to acclimatise to the pace and ferocity of the two matches they have played to date. They will get better as the talent is still there but as the saying goes there in no gain without the pain.

Pwllheli are at home on Saturday to Bethesda who are enjoying an excellent start to the season. Pwllheli seconds are crossing their fingers that Bethesda seconds will be able to raise a side. Pwllheli are yet to play a second time fixture this season.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos