Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team 14 - 8 Llandudno RFC | 1st Team
Osian Jones
Try 1
Penalty 3

Match Report
20 September 2017 / Team News

Pwllheli RFC 14 Llandudno RFC 8

The scoreline accurately reflects how close a match this was. A bulky talented Llandudno team arrived early at Bodegroes and their intent was reflected in their pre-match preparation. Despite the occasional drizzly shower playing conditions were excellent at Bodegroes.
The visitors started the match much better than the home side. They dominated both possession and territory for the first twenty minutes. Pwllheli's backs rarely saw the ball in attacking mode and their role was almost exclusively defensive.The heavyweight Tudno pack used the driving maul effectively and initially bossed the set pieces as well. Gradually Pwllheli's efforts got them back into contention.They began to edge the scrum and their line out began to function more efficiently. 
Pwllheli were awarded a penalty on twenty three minutes as the visitors were penalised for a high tackle. Osian Parry Jones' superb fifty five metre penalty kick saw the ball soar over to give his side the lead. Pwllheli now began to look threatening in attack. The visitors number six was yellow carded on thirty three minutes for another high tackle. The Lleyn side took the opportunity and two minutes later it was wing Parry Jones who finished off a long range counter by Pwllheli. His conversion attempt drifted narrowly wide.
Half time came with Pwllheli leading by eight points to nil. 
The home side attacked from the kick off but they lost the ball in a tackle near the half way line. The loose ball was pounced on by Llandudno's excellent full back Ryan Pike. He sped past a disjointed Pwllheli defence to score from fully forty metres.Pike failed to convert his own try. The Lleyn side responded quickly . Pwllheli were awarded a penalty when Llandudno were caught offside and Parry Jones duly slotted the kick. Llandudno were very much still in the game and big hits from both teams were the norm  as the defence  of both teams was structured and disciplined. Llandudno came the closer to scoring a try  but against the run of play Pwllheli's Parry Jones added another penalty to give his team a crucial two score differential.
Llandudno still believed and they cut the deficit with a penalty from full back Pike on thirty one minutes.Although both fifteens then dug deep and the match closed with no further score.
Pwllheli will admit they were not at their best on the day although there were some encouraging signs in particular the performance by fly half Bleddyn Davies who replaced the unavailable Niick Butterworth at fly half..
Pwllheli Seconds continued their winning streak as they beat visitors Dinbych Seconds in the first round of the W.R.U.Bowl by 24 points to ten. The match was marred by a nasty head injury to Pwllheli forward William Rickards .An ambulance attended to him at the ground before transferring him to Ysbyty Gwynedd. Thankfully scans of the injury were clear and he was released after staying overnight for observation. Best wishes are extended that he makes a quick and full recovery.
The First XV are away to Colwyn Bay in the league on Saturday, the Seconds are home to Machynlleth and the Youths are home to Holyhead. All games kick off at 2.30.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos