Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team 37 - 8 Ruthin RFC | 1st Team
Osian Jones
Conversion 4
Penalty 3
John Llyr Pugh
Try 1
Alwyn Rhys Trenholme
Try 1
Dafydd Anwyl Williams
Try 1
Huw Owen Williams
Try 1
Nathan Huw Jones
1 Penalty
Daniel Miller
1 Try

Match Report
03 October 2017 / Team News

Pwllheli RFC 37 Ruthin RFC 8

Heavy overnight and early morning rain had saturated the pitch before this key fixture. Thankfully in most part the rain held off during the match. Given the conditions it was good to see both  teams well supported. Ruthin over course travelled to the  Lleyn in high spirits given their defeat of Nant Conwy the previous Saturday. They arrived early at Bodegroes and clearly did not lack motivation or confidence for the fixture.
Their high hopes seemed justified in the opening salvos with Ruthin dominating possession and territory. From the outset it was apparent they would be using their heavyweight back line to punch holes in the Pwllheli defence. Ruthin's forwards and backs combined well and took the ball into the Pwllheli 22. Pwllheli were caught offside and paid the price with Ruthin's fly half Nathan Jones kicking slotting a neat penalty after only three minutes. Pwllheli kept their composure and their back row in particular were quicker to the loose ball. Ruthin tried to utilise their bulky backs to make ground but fourteen minutes in fly half John Pugh latched on to a loose pass near half way. He outpaced Ruthin's cover to score under the posts. Wing Parry Jones added the two points. The home side pressed their advantage and when Ruthin were penalised for killing the ball it was Jones who added three penalty points to take the score to Pwllheli ten to Ruthin's three. The pressure on the visitors was maintained. Pwllheli fielded a wayward kick on the left. Forwards and backs combined well and made forty metres. Flanker Dafydd Anwyl then broke on the blind of a ruck and sliced through to score on twenty one minutes. Again the dependable boot of Parry Jones added a successful conversion.
Ruthin had edged the scrums in the opening quarter but as the half progressed Pwllheli attained parity and were secure on their own ball. This allowed their half backs to have more control of the game. Scrum half Butterworth was able to pin Ruthin back with a series of testing kicks and although Ruthin generally managed the aerial assault well it often put them on the back foot. On twenty eight minutes Ruthin were again penalised for not releasing and Parry  Jones added the three points with a long range penalty.
Though both teams endeavoured to break the opposition line half time came with no further score as Pwllheli led by twenty points to three.
As in the first half Ruthin started the stronger.After only five minutes they secured clean line out ball ten metres from the Pwllheli line. A simple throw to the front of the line caught Pwllheli unawares and Ruthin's hooker Daniel Miller crashed over. The conversion missed. After fifteen minutes brought in two forward replacements and the changes rejuvenated the Pwllheli pack. The Lleyn side were now edging all areas of play and it was no surprise when Parry Jones added another penalty after twenty minutes.
Ruthin's opportunity came on twenty eight minutes as the home side had a second row yellow carded. Pwllheli upped their determination and it was they who scored next. Prop Alwyn Trenholme, celebrating his birthday, finished off an effective driving maul on thirty four minutes.Parry Jones'  conversion took the score to Pwllheli thirty, Ruthin eight.
The home side were by now very much on top but it took until the forty first minute of the second half for them to secure a key try bonus point. Pressing Ruthin in their own twenty two Pwllheli kept the ball tight and inched their way towards the Ruthin try line. The ball was secured for replacement second row Huw Williams to score the most acrobatic of tries as he soared through and over would be defenders. Osian Parry Jones' successful conversion was the last action of what had been an excellent advert for community rugby. The contribution of referee Amada Lattuca was acknowledged by the Pwllheli team and supporters.
The Man of the Match was Pwllheli flanker Dafydd Anwyl Williams.
Pwllheli played their most cohesive game of the season against committed and powerful opposition. The win was well deserved and they earned the try bonus point by maintaining their focus and structure. The win retains their three point lead at the top of the table but they know that effort and dedication are required in what is turning out to be a far more competitve League.
The pressure on the team and coaches does not ease. On Saturday they travel to Caernarfon for a First Round WRU Plate game.The League match in Caernarfon on September 9 saw Pwllheli ease to a narrow in over their hosts. Caernarfon no doubt will  be keen to turn Pwllheli over. Pwllheli likewise will be conscious they will need to be at their best to retain their bragging rights.
Pwllheli Seconds travel to Shotton in the second round of the Welsh Bowl competition having retained teir place at the top of Division 3 following a resounding victory at  Benllech. Shotton Steel RFC  are a fine team but Pwllheli's Second XV will give their all.
Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos