Llandudno RFC | 1st Team 20 - 27 Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team
Osian Jones
1 Conversion
John Llyr Pugh
1 Try
Nicholas J. Butterworth
2 Try
Tomos Parry
2 Try

Match Report
10 April 2017 / Team News

Llandudno RFC 20 Pwllheli RFC 27.

Conditions were well nigh perfect for rugby for this important fixture with only a light breeze to have any impact of the game. The pitch surface was in excellent condition and all was set for a good game of rugby.
Llandudno rocked Pwllheli within a minute of the kick off. Winning the ball in their own half LLandudno swept the ball left .Centre Dave Davies caught the Pwllheli defence napping as he raced through from forty metres out.The wide angled conversion attempt drifted just wide. Pwllheli then had a good ten minutes. A penalty strike by Osian P.Jones after four minutes missed the mark but on six minutes Pwllheli attacked from deep. Quick passing put centre John Pugh in the clear and he scorched through to score. The conversion attempt missed.
Though the home side had much the heavier pack Pwllheli  had the edge in the scrums and this proved decisive in Pwllheli's try after ten minutes. Forty metres out Pwllheli had the nudge in aa set scrum . This committed to Llandudno  back row. Scrum half Nick Butterworth broke quickly from the base. He made ground before off loading to his supporting number eight Tom Parry who touched down. Osian P.Jones' conversion put Pwllheli twelve ten ahead.
It was now LLandudno's turn to press. Their pack took Pwllheli on  and they made ground through a series of driving mauls. With the Pwllheli cover stretched experienced scrum half Cameron Davies sniped through on fifteen minutes for a well taken score. It was not a day for the kickers as the conversion went well wide. Both sides became embroiled in an arm wrestle and any thoughts of a barbarian style performance disappeared. On thirty minutes Llandudno took the lead again with a neatly struck penalty .
With both teams fronting up heavy hits became the norm. Injuries interrupted the flow of the game as referee Lattucca worked hard to control the game.In the forty sixth minute of the half Pwllheli broke clear from their twenty  two.The Pwllheli player was floored by a high tackle. As Llandudno's number eight had seemingly followed up the tackle with a punch he was red carded. Both teams then were involved in the ensuing rumpus. As a consequence Pwllheli had two players yellow carded and skipper Butterworth and second row Francisco Campos trudged off the pitch for an extended break.
Half time came with the home side leading by thirteen points to twelve.
The atmosphere at the start of the second period remained tense. Pwllheli's structure stood them in good stead as although the home side had a one man advantage for the opening ten minutes Llandudno could not unlock the Pwllheli cover. Back to full strength Pwllheli took the game to the hosts. Stalwart Llandudno defence kept them out initially. On fifteen minutes kicked to touch following a penalty for offside against Llandudno. Pwllheli won the ensuing line out and drove hard. Scrum half Butterworth was the beneficiary of his pack's hard work as he crashed over to score his team's third try. The conversion missed. It was Butterworth again on twenty minutes. With Pwllheli in the ascendancy in the forwards they were able to exert territorial pressure through effective driving mauls as well as some astute runs on the blind. On twenty minutes Butterworth scored his team's fourth and bonus point try after some powerful drives had made ground centre field. The conversion missed.
Pwllheli switched their props at this stage with the Griffiths' brothers replacing Williams and Trenholme. James Mortimer replaced Campos at second row. The final quarter of the match was stalemated until the dying minutes of the game. Forty minutes in Tom Parry finished off a scintillating long distance try. The score again went unconverted. In the final play of the match the home side's fine scrum half Cameron Davies caught the Pwllheli defence napping to score. His conversion took the final score to Llandudno twenty Pwllheli twenty seven.
This was  a hard fought tough away win against a Llandudno side who turned out a heavy pack and were well orchestrated from half back. Pwllheli were able to keep their composure and structure for most of the match and all credit to them for doing so. To come away with a try bonus point win and no injuries was the best Pwllheli could hope for. As always the team were well supported with the away supporters outnumbering those of the home side and the Club wish to thank them for heir loyalty.
On Saturday Pwllheli host local rivals Caernarfon at Bodegroes. There is no motivation required from the players of either team for for this fixture .
The Match is sponsored by Hafan y Mor. Kick off is at 2.30.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos