Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team 33 - 3 Bro Ffestiniog RFC | 1st Team
Osian Jones
Conversion 3
Kalim Joshua Park Kelemete
Try 1
Nicholas J. Butterworth
Conversion 1
Tomos Parry
Try 4

Match Report
06 March 2017 / Team News

Pwllheli RFC 33 Bro Ffestiniog 3

This was always going to be a challenging match after the huge frustrations following the Welsh Plate loss to Abercarn. There was some player unavailability owing to lambing commitments but the Club was pleased to see the return of Nicholas Butterworth and Caron Jones from New Zealand. Given the consistent heavy rain there was some doubt as to whether the match would go ahead but as there was no surface water the green light was given for the fixture.

The Lleyn side started the match strongly. Within two minutes number eight Tom Parry had crossed the whitewash to score his team's first try. The accurate boot of Osian Parry Jones added the two points. Pwllheli did not let Bro settle and seven minutes in Pwllheli's pressure again told as Tom Parry again crashed over. Parry Jones' kick took the score to fourteen points to nil ahead.Any thoughts Pwllheli and their supporters had that this would be a walk in the pack disappeared as Bro countered using their powerful pack to make inroads before releasing their solid back line.The home side's defence held as both teams slogged it out as the condition of the pitch rapidly deteriorated. On twenty one minutes Bro were rewarded with a penalty neatly taken by Bro's wing Arron Aspden.

Pwllheli knew they faced a real challenge and they dug deep. With scrum half Nick Butterworth sniping at the fringes of set pieces as well as in the rucks and mauls Bro struggled to  maintain their momentum. As the half developed Pwllheli had the edge. Their efforts saw Tom Parry score his hat-trick of tries after twenty nine minutes following a period of concerted forward play. Again Osian Parry Jones' kick was successful. With both sides giving no quarter heavy tackles were then norm and there were several injury stoppages. As the clock moved into first half injury time Pwllheli launched one final attack.Close interplay by Pwllheli's backs took the ball into Bro's twenty two. The pack then took over and ground out the yards to enable Pwllheli to squeeze in at the corner. Amazingly it was Tom Parry again who scored his team's fourth try. The conversion missed and the whistle went with Pwllheli leading by twenty six points to three.

The second period was a more dour affair. There was no lack of endeavour or commitment but the elements took their toll.The heavy ground made fluent rugby difficult but both sides never gave up trying. Each side used their subs to up the pace but the teams cancelled each other out. Territorially Pwllheli had the advantage and this told when twenty one minutes in the power and strength of Kalim Kelemete so him pierce Bro's defence. The conversion was slotted by Nick Butterworth.

There was no further scoring and the teams who by this tiem were indistinguishable from each other  trudged off for a well earned shower.

Number eight Tom Parry will recall his four tries for a long time to come. This is particularly so as his most fierce adversary of the afternoon was brother Huw who is a long term Bro player.

This was a sound and encouraging win and performance by Pwllheli. Ground conditions were awful and the referee did well to keep the game flowing. The squad had to regroup after the Abercarn match and players and coaches should be proud of the efforts on the day. Pwllheli have a tough away fixture on Saturday as they take on resurgent Ruthin. Following the Nant result against Caernarfon both  Ruthin and Pwllheli  have a great deal to play for.

The team coach leaves the Club at 11.00 Saturday morning. Could any supporters wanting to travel please let the Club know.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos