Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team 32 - 17 Llangefni RFC | 1st Team
Osian Jones
Conversion 3
Penalty 2
John Llyr Pugh
Try 1
Nicholas Butterworth
Try 2
Robin Jones
Try 1

Match Report
07 March 2016 / Team News


Despite the torrential rain over the previous two days the pitch stood up well throughout the contest.For differing reasons this was a key match for both Clubs. Llangefni are fighting to retain their league status while Pwllheli needed a win to keep within reach of League leaders Nant Conwy.

Pwllheli played with the wind at their backs in the first period. The opening jousts were even with  the heavy LLangefni pack making its presence felt. Pwllheli were given no time to settle on the ball and the opening quarter was a stop start affair. The Cefni coaches had done their homework and stifled the potentially potent Pwllheli back line for long periods.In the early stages both teams cancelled each other out with neither being able to make a decisive break. The Pwllheli back row were prominent and the tackle count of Dafydd Anwyl, Caron Jones and Tom Parry was impressive.It was the visitors who took the lead with a nineteenth minute penalty by Rhys Hughes. Pwllheli evened the score four minutes later with a penalty by Osian P.Jones.The score remained at three apiece until the thirty seventh minute of the half. Exerting consistent pressure for the first time Pwllheli went through the phases until they made space for Captain and fly half Nick Butterworth to crash over. Osian P.Jones added the conversion. Half time came with Pwllheli leading by ten points to three.

Pwllheli started the second period well and were rewarded with a sixth minute try from wing John Pugh. The conversion by  Oisan .P.Jones gave Pwllheli a healthy lead.However Llangefni's riposte came after a sustained period of forward play down the left flank.They eventually breached the home defence on twelve minutes as Jordan Scott crashed over. Rhys Hughes added the two points.

The next twenty minutes saw Pwllheli take command. They exerted effective pressure through the driving maul. They came close several times but as the penalty count against Llangefni mounted it was inevitable that they yielded a yellow card. With a minuted Pwllheli took advantage and it was Butterworth again who crashed over to score his team's third try. Jones added the conversion. The Lleyn side crossed the line twenty five minutes in but were adjudged not to have grounded the ball. Llangefni were not done. Back to full strength they created a gap - again on the left  - and John Hughes crossed for a well earned  try. Rhys Hughes inevitably added the two points.

The home team realised the importance of a bonus point and chased it with vigour and commitment. They left it late but on thirty seven minutes scrum half Robin Hughes Jones crossed for the all important fourth try.This was the last score of a tight encounter.

Pwllheli's Man of the Match was left wing John Pugh.

This was a hard fought win for the home side but nonetheless thoroughly deserved. Their lack of match practice was apparent on occasion but they dug deep and were the better side overall.In fairness to the Pwllheli side they achieved their goal of getting a bonus point win. On occasion the looked disjointed and rusty but for a side that has only played twice this year they achieved what was asked for them. They are aware of the threat posed by Bala on Saturday but know that they have much more to offer than they did against Llangefni.

It was the consensus view of all at Bodegroes that Llangefni have what it takes to avoid relegation.They asked questions of Pwllheli for the full eighty minutes and the Lleyn Club wish them the best.

Pwllheli Seconds were delighted with their thirteen to twelve win against Llangefni Seconds having lost in Llangefni  by over forty  points a few weeks ago.

Pwllheli Youths lost by twenty one points to five to a fine Denbigh side.

On Saturday March 12 Pwllheli host Bala RFC at the Club in a league fixture . This is a rearranged match following postponement earlier this season. Please note that the Kick Off time is 1.00 to enable players and supporters to watch the England v Wales match at the Club.



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos