Llangefni RFC | 1st Team 7 - 34 Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team
Rhys Williams
1 Try
Nicholas Butterworth
3 Try
Ellis Griffith
1 Try
Alan Roberts
3 Conversion
1 Penalty

Match Report
03 November 2015 / Team News

Llangefni RFC 5 Pwllheli RFC 34

Both teams struggled to get our their full squads to deal with the early kick off. Despite the heavy overnight rain field conditions were excellent with only a slight breeze having any impact on the game.

With two committed teams on the pitch it was no surprise that the opening salvoes were an arm wrestle with the home side effectively using their far larger pack to make ground and Pwllheli trying to play more expansive rugby. Pwllheli missed an early penalty opportunity but gradually exerted pressure on Llangefni.On ten minutes the home side had a player yellow carded and Pwllheli took full and immediate advantage. Setting up a driving maul from a line out a cohesive drive the pack crossed the line for scrum half and captain Nick Butterworth to touch down . The conversion drifted narrowly wide. The match was then evenly balanced with both sides creating chances but strong defences were to the fore. On thirty minutes Butterworth again had his pack to thank as they cleared the way for the captain's second close range try. Fly half Alan Roberts added the conversion.

Half time score Llangefni 0 Pwllheli 12. 

The second half saw Pwllheli put in a stronger performance. Llangefni's wing was yellow carded following a blatant trip and Alan Roberts added the three penalty points.Pwllheli's outstanding second row Ellis Griffith added to the score on fourteen minutes with a well taken try. The Lleyn side turned the screw and on twenty minutes prop Rhys Wlliams' unstoppable drive saw him crash over for Pwllheli's fourth try. Roberts' conversion put the visitors twenty seven points to nil ahead. Llangefni were on the ropes but were far from being out of the game.They pinned Pwllheli back with some astute kicking and after several drives they crossed for a try and the full back slotted the conversion.

Pwllheli had the final say with a third try by Nick Butterwrth. Alan Roberts' kick was the last score of a clean tough game.

The match was sympathetically throughout by referee Richard Davies whose clear and consistent decision making made it easier for all concerned.,

The Lleyn side benefitted from the bulk of the team having spent a week together in their successful tour of France and Spain. The training and the two wins against Gernika in Spain and Pessac in Bordeaux gave them the edge on the day.

Pwllheli make a return visit to Llangefni on Saturday in a North Wales League match. Kick off at 2.30.

Pwllheli have been drawn away to neighbours Caernarfon in the next round of the Cup. It would be really good to get a home draw.

The Lleyn side's second fifteen experienced a frustrating afternoon. They travelled to Dolgellau and were changed ready for the League match.It then transpired that there was no referee and the "game" was postponed.This after a round trip of over one hundred miles for some of the players. Pwllheli Ladies match was also called off as Bangor University could not raise a team.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos