Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team 37 - 0 Mold RFC | 1st Team
Robin Jones
Try 2
Osian Jones
Try 1
Conversion 1
Tom Parry
Try 2
Nicholas Butterworth
Try 1
Mathew Parry
Try 1

Match Report
18 March 2018 / Team News

Pwllheli RFC 37 Mold RFC 0.

Conditions were awful for this match. The heavy overnight rain resumed during the match and made the pitch surface difficult for both teams. 
Flanker Tom Parry's return after a four month injury lay off could not have been more dramatic. After only two minutes he broke away from a maul on the half way line and beat the Mold cover to touch down. The conversion missed. Both team then had a decent amount of possession but it was to Mold's advantage that the sticky surface militated against flowing rugby from the talented Pwllheli back line. Both packs competed well but it was Pwllheli who scored next. A series of scrums on the Mold twenty two put pressure on the visitors' defence and it was inevitable they would succumb. On eleven minutes Pwllheli's captain and scrum half sniped over from close range. Again the shot at goal missed.
The match then entered into an arm wrestle with neither side able to dominate. The packs were evenly balanced at the stage both in the set pieces and in open play.  Pwllheli allowed the Mold halfbacks limited time on the ball. It was Pwllheli's commitment to close down the Mold half backs which brought Pwllheli's third try. It was Mathew Parry on twenty seven minutes who charged down a kick. He followed up the loose ball and with a skilled pick up he was able to score wide out on the left. The conversion drifted wide. Again the game moved back to a slog in the mud and it took Pwllheli until the thirty eighth minute to score their fourth and crucial try bonus try. The scorer was left wing Robin Hughes Jones whose pace and power saw him beat the desperate Mold cover. With place kicking made very difficult by the ever worsening pitch condition the kick again failed.
Half tme - Pwllheli 20 Mold.
At the start of the second period both Huw Williams and Tudur Griffiths were brought on at substitutes  and the fresh legs gave Pwllheli added impetus. The Lleyn sides fifth try came on ten minutes. through Tom Parry who finished off an unrelenting and precise driving maul. Much to the delight of the home supporters Osian Parry Jones slotted the conversion. The match became error strewn primarily because of the greasy ball but both teams tried hard to play some rugby. Twenty minutes in Pwllheli were camped in the Mold twenty two. They used the blind side effectively from a set scrum and a neat flat pass allowed right wing Osian Parry Jones to crash over wide on the right. The conversion missed.
Pwllheli now brought on their remaining substitutes with Gwilym Parry, Bleddyn Hughes and Danial  Glyn being brought on.
The seventh and last try by Pwllheli was scored by Robin Hughes Jones. Full back John Pugh made the try by turning the Mold defence with a well angled grubber kick. Hughes Jones' pace swept him past the would be defenders to score in the left hand corner.
The game came to an end precisely on forty minutes .
In fairness to Mold their players never gave up the challenge and the stats in terms of both possession and territory showed that Mold spent a lot of time in the Pwllheli red  zone. However Pwllheli's defence was once again was resolutely structured and cohesive and this combined with a lack of a cutting edge by the visitors saw Pwllheli achieve another clean sheet. It was very apparent that the reintroduction of both Tom Parry and Ellis Bodwy gave Pwllheli a far more secure line out.
The result took Pwllheli  to within six points of leaders Nant Conwy and  Pwllheli  have a game in hand.
Work is ongoing to arrange dates for the remaining league games and North Wales Cup  home semi game v Nant Conwy.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos