Caereinion OBRA | 1st Team 9 - 23 Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team
Osian Jones
1 Conversion
2 Penalty
Alwyn Trenholme
1 Try
Dafydd Anwyl Williams
2 Try

Match Report
08 December 2015 / Team News

COBRA 9 Pwllheli RFC 23

After a journey where the team coach was buffeted by gale force winds and rain it was a pleasant surprise to reach a dry oasis of relative calm at Meifod. The pitch was in excellent condition and although the match was plagued by strong wind throughout the standard of skills displayed was a credit to both teams.
Pwllheli played with the wind at their backs in the first half. They had the ascendency in the opening clashes and went ahead with a half way line penalty from Osian P.Jones after six minutes.The visitors piled on the pressure and were rewarded by a try from  prop Alwyn Trenholme as Pwllheli's rolling maul took home over the Cobra line. Jones added an excellent touchline conversion to give his side a ten to nil lead. Cobra then raised their game and were competitive in the set and were ferocious in the loose. The Lleyn side felt they needed to build up a score given that Cobra would have the strong wind in their favour in the second period.As it was Cobra put up a stern and stalwart defence and Pwllheli were unable to breach the Cobra line for the rest of the first period.They did take their lead to thirteen points with a second Jones penalty but it was Llew Williams, Cobra's fly half, who had the final say of the first period. Pwllheli conceded a silly offside penalty on forty one minutes and Williams duly slotted the kick.
Much of the third quarter saw Cobra using the elements effectively. They kicked well and tried to punch holes from  the ensuing lines out. Pwllheli's pack did well to match the revived Cobra forwards but other than one searing run Pwllheli's back line were able to thwart any threat with the new centre partnership of Deio Brunelli and Gaston Plaza combining well. The Cobra pressure did see them reduce their arrears through penalties by Llew Willaims on twelve and twenty minutes. It says much of the increasing maturity of this young Pwllheli side that they realised they had to up their game if they were to come away with the points. Pwllheli's attacks became more potent and they were able to dominate possession and pressure in the fourth quarter. Two gilt edged opportunities were missed on twenty three  and twenty five minutes.minutes. The first chance was missed when they knocked on with a clear line ahead and the second when the referee was unsighted when prop Alwyn Trenholme believed he had grounded the ball. Their fitness allowed them to keep their foot on the throttle and the tension was reduced somewhat when replacement flanker Dafydd Anwyl crashed over for a try on thirty two minutes. It was Dafydd Anwyl who finally  made sure of the win when he scored his second try only seconds from full time.
Visits to Cobra are always a potential banana skin for any team in the League and Pwllheli were delighted to come away with a win. The Cobra side yet again earned the respect of their visitors and Pwllheli look forward to the return match at Bodegroes.
Pwllheli have no game this week. The next match is home fixture against neighbours Caernarfon on Saturday December 19. Usual 2.30 kick off.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos