Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team 29 - 5 Ruthin RFC | 1st Team
Danial Williams
Try 1
Osian Jones
Conversion 2
Deio Brunelli
Try 1
Robin Jones
Try 2
Dafydd Anwyl Williams
Try 1
deian Williams
1 Try

Match Report
10 February 2016 / Team News

Pwllheli RFC 29 Ruthin RFC 5

The predominant emotion of Pwllheli's supporters was relief that they finally had a league match to watch at Bodegroes. Conditions were far from ideal with a heavy ground and a strong wind gusting down the pitch but nonetheless there was good support for both sides..

It was Ruthin who had the advantage of the elements in the first half but their kicking game was ineffective.The visitors started the match using their pack to punch at the  defence before releasing their back line. Pwllheli's defence has improved immeasurably since their away defeat at Ruthin  last October and the attacks were contained. The first score came after only eight minutes when Pwllheli won quick ruck ball  on the half way line. Scrum half Robin Hughes Jones  spotted a gap in the flat Ruthin cover and his pace saw him race over fifty metres to touch down Osian P.Jones added a difficult conversion against the strong wind. Though Ruthin responded well it was Pwllheli who struck next. Receiving a speculative kick ahead from Ruthin on eleven minutes  Pwllheli countered  on the left. Swift interpassing  put full back Danial Glyn clear and his pace did the rest for a memorable score. The conversion attempt hit the post.The contest pitched to and fro but Pwllheli extended their lead  after twenty minutes. Winning clean line out ball they set up a driving maul which Ruthin could not hold. Dafydd Anwyl , who was on as a blood susbstitute ,claimed his side's third try. 

The run of the game changed when Ruthin had a player red carded. As sometimes happens this rejuvenated the Ruthin side and they worked all the harder. Half time came with Pwllheli seventeen to nil ahead.

The second period saw Ruthin come into the game more and more. It was now Pwllheli who did not utilise the wind to the optimum and Ruthin were now more competitive. Pwlheli had their chances in open play but failed to take their opportunities. However Pwllheli kept their composure. They took the ball deep into Ruthin's twenty two. Despite thwarting several attacks Ruthin finally succumbed to a close range snipe by scrum half Robin Hughes Jones. Back came Ruthin and they worked a neat blind side try after twenty four minutes  by second row Deian Lloyd Williams. 

They match gradually deteriorated as a spectacle as the penalty count mounted but Pwllheli were good for a fifth try scored after a strong run by centre Deio Brunelli. Jones added the conversion.Though both sides continued to work hard there were no further scores.

Pwllheli now face another long lay off until they face Bala away on February 20. Three of their postponed league matches have now been rearranged. Nant Conwy are at Pwllheli on April 16 and then Pwllheli face two tough away  league matches-  to Bethesda on 23 April and at Llandudno on 30 April.It has been difficult to rearrange the fixture against  Bala as their successful run in the Swalec Plate continues. Pwllheli also need to play Bala or Abergele  at Bodegroes in the semi final of the North Wales Cup.

Pwlheli Youths probably had the result of the day when the beat Nant Youths by six points to five ending Nant Youth's long winning streak. Their  winning score was a second penalty which was the last kick of the match. Undoubtedly the Man of the Match in Pwllheli second's 56-26 away win at Caernarfon was fly half Alan Roberts. He converted all his side's eight tries in an excellent result for Euron Jones' team.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos