Llangefni RFC | 1st Team 17 - 16 Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team
Osian Jones
1 Conversion
3 Penalty
Robin Jones
1 Try

Match Report
09 November 2015 / Team News

Llangefni RFC 17 Pwllheli RFC 16

Pwllheli travelled to Anglesey for the second consecutive Saturday having won comfortably in the North Wales Cup the previous week. There was One Minutes Silence before the match as a show of respect for our war dead.  The visitors won the toss and decided to play against the elements in the first half. It was clear from the outset that Llangefni had been able to strengthen their side and the opening minutes were all Llangefni. They were rewarded with two early penalties by full back Rhys Hughes. Pwllheli regrouped and took the game to their hosts. However Llangefni stuck to their game plan . They used the elements very effectively and played a steady territorial game with a series of testing kicks. Pwllheli's full back Danial Williams did well under the high ball but Llangefni's kick and chase was well executed and the opportunities to counter were few and far between Llangefni increased their lead with a twenty third minute penalty. Pwllheli got on the score board four minutes later wth an Osian P.Jones penalty. Three minutes later the Lleyn side were convinced that centre Facundo Aguirre had won the race to touch down under the posts but Pwllheli were bemused when the referee awarded Pwllheli a five metre scrum. On thirty two minutes Pwllheli lost captain and scrum half through injury and he was replaced by Manu Acebo with wing Robin Hughes Jones moving in as scrum half. While Pwllheli were adjusting to the changes Llangefni slotted their fourth penalty to take the half time score to Llangefni twelve Pwllheli three. The visitors had a much stronger period as they too endeavoured to use the squally wind. Handling by both sides was excellent given the regular heavy downpours. Pwllheli reduced the deficit with a second Osian P.Jones penalty after eight minutes. Pwllheli's pack now provided cleaner ball for their backs and twelve minutes in they attacked on the right flank. They were able to create a one on one situation and a deft kick put the Pwllheli right wing clear with no Llangefni player between him and the line. A blatant trip brought down the player but it was deemed to be "accidental" by the referee who nonetheless awarded a penalty which Jones duly slotted. Both sides played with a lot of gusto and commitment. Pwllheli added weight to their pack with the introduction of Huw Williams. Twice they trundled seemingly inexorably towards the Llangefni try line. On both occasions the maul was brought down literally inches from the line . Llangefni retained a menacing threat particularly from the permitted right wing who several times made yardage as he cut through the Pwllheli cover. Pwllheli seemed to have stolen the match on thirty six minutes as replacement scrum half Robin Hughes Jones crossed in the corner. Th e superb touchline conversion gave Pwllheli a sixteen to twelve lead. Pwllheli secured the restart and kicked the ball deep. Llangefni's full back Rhys Hughes took the ball well and an excellent kick saw the ball back in touch on the Pwllheli twenty two. With seconds remaining Pwllheli took the line cleanly. Clean possession saw the ball passed to the scrum half and then on to the wing to clear into touch. Incredibly Llangefni's replacement prop made up so much ground so quickly to allow Ynys Jones to charge down the kick. He latched on to the loose ball and powered over. The referee deemed the player to be onside and the score was awarded.The final whistle sounded seconds later. Llangefni thoroughly deserved to win this match.Their transformation from the previous week was impressive and much credit must go to home side's players and coaches.They took their opportunities well and were better able to maximise possession. Pwllheli were rightly disappointed about some of the decision making but they will be more worried about the injuries to key players. Pwllheli seconds lost a hard fought match to Llangefni's seconds while Pwllheli Youths beat Llangefni at Bodegroes by seventeen points to ten. Pwllheli face another tough match on Saturday as they host Abergele at Bodegroes. With a mounting injury list Pwllheli will need to be at their best to get back to winning ways.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos