Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team 26 - 8 Bethesda RFC | 1st Team
Dafydd Anwyl Williams
Try 1
Nicholas Butterworth
Conversion 3
Try 1
Robin Jones
Try 2

Match Report
15 October 2014 / Team News

Pwllheli RFC 26 Bethesda RFC 8.

Once again the match was played in almost perfect conditions form rugby. On a lush pitch and fine weather only the easterly breeze had any impact on the game. The fixture attracted a large crowd including a sizeable contingent from Bethesda .

The opening minutes were all Bethesda. Orchestrated by their talented fly half Mathew Parry their exciting backs looked threatening with ball in hand. As it was they spurned two overlaps and gave the home side some breathing space. Both sides were awarded early penalties but both attempts drifted wide. Pwllheli gradually got their pattern of play into gear and their driving mauls against the bulky visiting pack were very effective. After fourteen minutes they made ground on the left.Switching the focus of attack they confused the Bethesda defence to allow captain Dafydd Anwyl to crash over. Scrum half Butterworth added the conversion. The game was stopped on twenty minutes for a knee injury to a Bethesda centre. Bethesda's riposte was a penalty from captain Mathew Parry. Pwllheli responded well and made ground into the visitors twenty two. Butterworth seized the opportunity from the base of a ruck to crash over. He added the two points. Half time came five minutes later with Pwllheli fourteen to three to the good.

The start of the second period once more saw Bethesda with lots of possession but solid Pwllheli defence and poor option taking by the attackers kept them out.Fifteen minutes in Bethesda attacked on the left. Their centre received man and ball and Pwllheli's  centre Robin Hughes Jones won the arm wrestle for the ball. A fifty five metre mazy run saw him beat Bethesda's cover to score an outstanding individual try. Butterworth was successful with the conversion. Bethesda now pressed strongly. Pwllheli had a player yellow carded for killing the ball and Bethesda tried to take advantage. Three minutes later their substitute Arwyn Griffith was deemed to have crossed the line much to Pwllheli's chagrin as they were convinced the ball was dropped in going for the score. Their appeals went unheeded and with  Pwllheli still a man down Bethesda were very much back in the game.

As it was Pwllheli finished the game much the stronger and on forty minutes scored their fourth and bonus point try through centre Robin Hughes Jones. The  whistle went a minute later. The team had atoned for their dismal display against Llandudno with a solid and committed performance. Once again the match resulted in injury as hooker Kevin Morris dislocated two fingers.

Pwllheli have a bye in the Swalec PLate this weekend and it is a timely respite as they come to terms to a raft of injuries. Their next match is on October 4 away to Denbigh.

The Club's thoughts are with the family and friends of Gareth Owen Parry whose funeral took place on the Thursday and for the family and friends of Squadron Leader David Roberts who was found dead at his home last  week. The loss of both is a huge blow to the        Club. RIP.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos