Denbigh (Dinbych) RFC | 1st Team 22 - 34 Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team
Geraint Parry
1 Try
Owain Williams
1 Try
Ifan Pyrs
1 Try
Dafydd Anwyl Williams
1 Try
Osian Jones
4 Conversion
2 Penalty

Match Report
15 October 2014 / Team News

Denbigh 22 Pwllheli 34

Preparation for this tough away fixture were hugely disrupted by the unavailability of eight first team squad players. This included five of the starting line up who faced Bethesda in their last match. Huw Owen and Daniel Jones  were drafted in from the Youths and Tudor Jones,Daniel Hughes, Tudur Griffiths and Caron Jones were brought in from the seconds. 

In unexpectedly fine conditions all the players had to contend with was a slight breeze and the sloping pitch. The home side dominated the opening salvoes. Their very effective backline spread the ball wide  at each opportunity and stretched the Pwllheli cover. Their first try when it came was both fortuitous and well taken. A speculative kick ahead saw the ball bounce wickedly away from the Pwllheli cover and into the hands of winger Dave Cartwright. The try and conversion by Sullivan reflected the early balance of the game. Pwllheli's game plan the gradually kicked in. With Pwllheli's pack edging all facets of play Pwllheli's pragmatic play would not have endeared the purists but was certainly appreciated by the realists watching the game. The deficit was cut on twelve minutes with an Osian Parry Jones penalty. Four minutes later captain and number eight Dafydd Anwyl  touched down  following a powerful rolling maul. Jones added the conversion.

Denbigh were allowed back into the game following an unenforced error. Losing the ball in contact Denbigh's nine Jamie Winning took full advanatage and  seared through the cover to score a fine individual try. 

The latter stages of the first period was all Pwllheli. On twenty four minutes they again drove - this time from a line out - towards the Denbigh line. Denbigh had no answer and Geraint Parry touched down. An excellent touchline conversion by Jones put Pwllheli seventeen points to twelve up. Four minutes later and with the home side under pressure fly half Owain Williams saw a gap and scythed through to score under the posts. The inevitable conversion took the half time score to Pwllheli twenty four Denbigh twelve.

Fearing a repetition of last season when Pwllheli let slip a ten point lead the visitors knew thgat scoring first against the slope was critical. As it was they were awarded a penalty one minute into the half which Jones duly slotted. Denbigh's qualities then came to the fore.On nine minutes it was scrum half Winning who crossed the line and O'Sullivan's conversion put the home side very much back in contention. The new laws about crooked feeds cost Pwllheli dear on twenty five minutes when Denbigh were awarded a kick under the posts as Pwllheli transgressed. The team's character was now seriously challenged but Pwllheli raised their game. The took the contest to Denbigh and hard working flanker Ifan Pyrs got a deserved and bonus point fourth try. Jones' conversion was the last score of a hard but fairly fought contest.

Denbigh have proved to be a major hurdle for Pwllheli in recent seasons so this bonus point away  win was a vindication of the way  Pwllheli managed their game. Owain Tegfan had a Man of the Match performance as he responded well to the game plan. The inexperienced players gave an excellent account of themselves and have put their hands up for future selection. 

Pwllheli now face yet another hard challenge as they host Dolgellau at Bodegroes on Saturday. As always the match has a 2.30 kick off. Please come and support the team.

Pwllheli seconds travelled to face previously  unbeaten Denbigh with a scratch side and were delighted to come away with a try bonus win to maintain their own unbeaten start to the season. They also play Dolgellau at the Clun on Saturday.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos