Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team 0 - 25 Penallta RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
18 January 2019 / Team News

Pwllheli v Penallta

Pwllheli RFC 0 Penallta RFC 25.

This keenly awaited fourth round WRU Plate match took place in relatively  good playing conditions. The rain held off and the pitch although a little greasy was eminently playable. There was a strong breeze running lengthways across the pitch. A crowd of over three hundred came to support their teams. Penallta had strong support with two coach loads of supporters travelling north.
Pwllheli played with the wind in the first half. They were however rocked in the opening minute. Penallta fielded a kick and shifted the ball seamlessly along their backs. They created an overlap and put wing Aaron Owen in the clear. His pace took him beyond the despairing Pwllheli cover and he triumphantly touched down in the corner .The conversion attempt drifted wide in the swirling wind. 
If Penallta thought the home side would roll over they were mistaken. The Lleyn side took the game to the visitors. In the set Pwllheli had the edge. The home scrum out pressure on Penallta ball but their number eight adeptly tidied up any loose ball. Seven minutes in Pwllheli were awarded a penalty and chose to kick for touch.
They won the ensuing line out and edged towards the Penallta line. The  driving maul collapsed and Pwll were awarded the scrum. Though the put in was delayed Pwllheli were penalised for an early engagement. There were a good number of stoppages during this period and this impacted on Pwllheli's momentum. The home side were awarded a series of kicks but went for touch each time. They came close three times but Penllta held. Pwllheli best opportunity of the half came from a Carwyn ap Myrddin run. Clever inter-passing  put us in the red zone but two metres from their line a thunderous tackle dislodged the ball from the Pwllheli attacker's grasp. The line was cleared following the ensuing scrum.
Despite the opportunities half time came on forty two minutes with Pwllheli trailing by five points to nil.
The second period saw Penallta make effective use of he wind. Once again Pwllheli was knocked back in the opening minutes of the half.  They won the ball from a scrappy line out. They took the ball left  and were able to create space for their  fine full back Lawrence Pritchard to beat the defence to score in he corner. The kick missed. Three minutes later Penallta , though they were still in their own half, decided to kick for goal rather than touch. Lawrence Prichard's huge kick bisected the posts to give his side  a thirteen to nil lead. The pressure on Pwllheli was unremitting and eight minutes in  they beat the Pwllheli cover for wing Aaron Owen to score his second try. Pritchard added the conversion.
Lesser sides would have capitulated at this point. A sit was Pwllheli rallied and they had their chances to reduce the deficit.  Despite their efforts Penallta held and they  twisted the knife when they scored a breakaway try on thirty minutes. It was Pritchard who scored try but he was unable to covert his own score. Once again Pwllheli showed their character and came close twice but the excellent Penallta defence held he line and the final whistle went on forty four minutes.
There is no question but that Penallta deserved their victory. They took their opportunities well  and there all round play was top notch. Pwllheli are renowned for their strong defence but lessons  are to be learned from the structure and organisation Penllta demonstrated throughout the match. The score line flattered the visitors and the Pwllheli squad can hold their heads high. They lost to a very good side and will learn from the experience.
Pwllheli wish Penallta well and fully expect them to reach the final of the Plate.
Pwllheli must now prepare for yet another challenging macth as the host current League leaders Nant Conwy at Bodgroes on Saturday.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos