Abergele RFC | 1st Team 6 - 21 Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team
Osian Jones
1 Conversion
3 Penalty
Tom Parry
2 Try

Match Report
29 March 2016 / Team News

Abergele RFC 6 Pwllheli RFC 21

Pwllheli made the long haul in Bank Holiday traffic to a wet and windy Abergele. The home side had the wind at their backs throughout the half and they used the elements effectively. Their long penetrating kicks were proficiently dealt with by Pwllheli's back three but the kicks still gave Abergele territorial advantage for the first twenty five minutes of the game. The home side kept the ball tight and tried to punch holes in Pwllheli's cover but the Lleyn side's defence held. On seven minutes Pwllheli were deemed to have killed the ball and Abergele's fly half Owain Davies did well to slot the penalty in the gusting wind. As the match progressed Pwllheli edged the scrums but their line out did not function as well. With the team's cancelling each other out it was inevitable the the next score would come from a penalty. It was Davies who again obliged with his second successful kick on twenty eight minutes.The latter stages of the half saw Pwllheli gradually come back into the game. On thirty eight minutes and after pressing the opposition line they got on the score board with an Osian P.Jones penalty. Half time came four minutes later with Abergele holding on to their slender six points to three lead. The second half start with Pwllheli mixing their tactics with astute kicks but also trying to release their potentially potent back line. The match came to an abrupt halt after ten minutes with a nasty injury to Simon Johnston ,Abergele's prop. It was quickly clear that an ambulance was needed so while the player was kept warm both teams retired to the changing room. After some fourteen minutes it was decided that the match would be transferred to Abergele's second team pitch. Both teams adjusted well but with Pwllheli now having wind and slope advantage it took them only five minutes to pull level. With Abergele killing the ball in the loose under their posts gave Osian P.Jones the formality of kicking the penalty. The visitors' first try came on twenty two minutes from a pushover following nine phases of play . Deio Brunelli claimed the touchdown. Though Abergele worked hard Pwllheli extended their lead on twenty four minutes with another Osian P.Jones penalty. The coup de grace came on twenty seven minutes when back rower Tom Parry capped a flowing sixty metre counter to touch down . Jones added the conversion. There was no further scoring and both teams and their cold and wet supporters were pleased to make their way to the clubhouse. Given the awful weather the commitment and level of skills displayed was a credit to both teams. Pwllheli took their scoring opportunities well but were relieved when the final whistle went. On Saturday Pwllheli travel down to Dolgellau for what will be a key match for both Clubs. The home side will be desperate for points as they strive to avoid relegation while Pwllheli will do their best to at least keep in touch with Nant Conwy at the top of the League.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos