Llangefni RFC | 1st Team 35 - 59 Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team
Geraint Parry
1 Try
Kevin Lee Morris
1 Try
John Llyr Pugh
3 Try
Osian Jones
1 Try
7 Conversion
Tom Parry
1 Try
Ioan James Jones
1 Try
Gareth Williams
1 Try

Match Report
07 May 2018 / Team News

Llangefni RFC 35 Pwllheli RFC 59.


This Division 1 North league match started in almost ideal conditions for rugby. Blue skies and a warm sunny afternoon with only a slight breeze to have any impact on the game. The decently sized crowd looked forward to an open game on a pitch which had recovered well following the terrible weather over past months.
Llangefni fielded a heavyweiight pack and they used them to good effect from the outset. Playing with the breeze at their backs. they took the ball to Pwllheli. Keeping the ball tight they were able to maintain possession effectively in the opening minutes. They made ground on their left and on six minutes Pwllheli were penalised for killing the ball.The home side's fly half Carwyn Millburn opened the score with a well struck penalty. Pwllheli's riposte was not long in coming. Pwllheli countered from deep their silky back line cut into LLangefni territory. Quick inter-passing put supporting flanker Caron Jones in the clear to touch down wide out. The conversion missed. The pattern of the game was set early on as the home team came back strongly. They were able to control possession and used their big forwards in short bursts to put Pwllheli on the back foot.Twelve minutes in their number eight Aaron Jeffrey touched down from short range. Milburn added the two points.It was Milburn again five minutes later as Pwllheli conceded another penalty which Milburn duly slotted to give his side a thirteen to five lead.
In response Pwllheli countered from deep from the kick off. With Pwllheli's silky back line being well orchestrated by fly half Mathew Parry  they scythed through the would be  defenders for John Pugh to touch down.Again the kick drifted wide. With Pwllheli's confidence building after a quiet start the visiting backs looked threatening whenever they had the ball. Their third try came after twenty two minutes. Breaking left John Pugh outpaced the cover to put wing Osian Parry Jones in the clear and he scored wide out. His excellent touchline kick took his die into a seventeen to seven lead. Within two minutes this lead was extended as the visiting backs worked well together to create an opening for John Pugh to score his second try. Parry Jones kicked the conversion.
Llangefni were still very much in the match .Heavy tackles were the norm as both sides played with pride and commitment to the great appreciation of the supporters of both teams. Millburn cut the deficit with his third penalty but back came Pwllheli,This team it was their back row who attacked . The ubiquitous Tom Parry stretched his side's lead with a fine try which gave his side a sixteen to thirty one lead. Llangefni closed the half well. They drove Pwllheli back from a line out. They set up a rolling maul and prop Ynyr Lloyd crashed over to cut his side's deficit.
Half time - Llangefni 23 Pwllheli 31.
With the match ebbing and flowing the spectators were looking forward to a display of Corinthian rugby - and the players duly obliged.Both sides now opted for an expansive game and it made good viewing.Six minutes into the second period it was Pwllheli's turn to use the driving maul. They drove LLangefni back and their prop Kevin Morris took advantage and scored Parry Jones added another two points. The visitors further extended their lead when Pwllheli's evegreen second row Geraint Parry cut inside the oncoming cover to score a deserved try. Two more points from Parry Jones' boot took the score to Llangefni  thirty- Pwllheli 45. Llangefni are made of stern stuff and on twenty minutes their centre Ian Parry finished off a nice move to touch down Milburn added the extras .
Despite the warm weather both teams were relentless.The tempo was maintained and it was Pwllheli who scored next when the visitors' Geraint Parry scored his second try. This took Pwllheli up to fifty points. With Parry Jones in the groove he added the conversion. On twenty three minutes Pwllheli brought on a raft of substitutes and they played their part in a game that was an excellent advert for community rugby. On thirty six minutes John Pugh glided through the home defence to secure is hat-trick Parry Jones slotted the kick. Pwllheli kept up the attack but it was LLangefni who had the last say when left wing Carwyn Owen intercepted a Pwllheli pass  and ran half the length of the pitch to score. The whistle went two minutes later.
The scheduled Division 3 match against Mold was postponed on Friday evening much to the disappointment of Pwllheli's second team squad who were looking forward to their last match of the season.
Pwllheli's Youth Team closed their season by winning the North Wales Youth Cup in dramatic fashion After trailing for most of the match they rallied and won the Cup with a late try and crucial conversion. Congratulations to all involved with this talented and committed group of players.
The focus now of course switches to the big match being played at Bangor RFC on Saturday May 12.  Pwllheli play Bala RFC in the Final of the North Wales Cup which is sponsored by Conwy Landrover. The same two teams met each other in last years Final and if that match is anything to go by then it will be a cracker. Kick off is at 3.15.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos