Bethesda RFC | 1st Team 20 - 22 Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team
Osian Jones
2 Conversion
1 Penalty
Gareth Williams
2 Try
John Llyr Pugh
1 Try

Match Report
19 December 2017 / Team News

Bethesda RFC 20 Pwllheli RFC 22

Pwllheli travelled to Bethesda with a sizeable contingent of their senior players not being available. The Club were only able to secure three substitutes and the Club wish to express their thanks to Ifan Post who agreed to bench for the team though he had not trained or played for the last nine months. Conditions were better than expected at Dol Dafydd although the supporters were drenched with the heavy showers which appeared towards the latter stages of the game.
The visitors started the stronger. They coped with the bulkier pack and threatened with ball in hand. The totally new second row functioned well and Ellis Parry was a reliable source of line out ball. The first try was archetypal Pwllheli. Winning scrum ball Bethesda's ten kicked the ball long to Pwllheli's right. The ball was fielded by wing Osian Parry Jones who bulldozed his way past his opposite wing before releasing the ball to the supporting John Pugh. Pugh's pace did the rest as he beat the cover and scored from fifty yards out. The conversion attempt missed. The fired up home side raised their game and made ground towards the Pwllheli line.  Pwllheli held for a series of phases but it was inevitable that a breach would come. On eleven minutes Rhys Williams, Bethesda's hooker crashed over for a deserved try. Fly half Gethin Long confidently added the conversion to take his side seven points to five ahead.
Pwllheli were edged in the scrums and Bethesda had far more of the possession. With both sides playing at the edge ball retention was crucial and with big hits being the norm there were regular stoppages. Pwllheli however were always a threat and on twenty four minutes outside centre Gareth Lloyd Williams showed and exceptional turn of pace as he won the race from a kick ahead. Fortunately Pwllheli's official photographer Gareth Jenkins was on the spot to dispel any argument that the Bethesda player had touched down first. Osian Parry Jones slotted the conversion.Again Bethesda unleashed their powerful pack as they tried to bludgeon their way through the Pwllheli defence. The Pwllheli youngsters showed up well even when captain Nick Butterworth went off with a blood injury on thirty two minutes.
Pwllheli were rocked when they lost a flanker with a yellow card. Pwllheli worked harder in response and were rewarded with a second well worked try by centre Lloyd Williams after Bethesda were beaten by some sharp inter passing between thePwllheli backs to put Lloyd Williams through.  Parry Jones took Pwllheli's lead to nineteen to seven with his second conversion. 
Bethesda then monopolised possession and took advantage of Pwllheli being a man short. Bethesda went through the phases and on forty one minutes fly half Long scythed through to score under he posts. His conversion took the half time score to Pwllheli nineteen Bethesda fourteen.
The second period was low scoring but intense. Both teams and referee Steve Nash of Ebbw Vale did well to cope with the impending gloom and rain. Three minutes in Gethin Long reduced his side's deficit further with a penalty.Pwllheli lost a player to a yellow card when an attempted interception was deemed to be a deliberate knock on.Long added  his second penalty to  give his side a slender lead. Pwllheli's heads did not go down and they raised their performance and took the game to the home side. On twenty nine minutes they earned  a penalty and Parry Jones duly obliged with the three points. The remaining twelve minutes was nail biting for both sides but Pwllheli held on.
This was an invaluable win for Pwllheli. Bethesda's performance on the day totally belies their position in the league.They took Pwllheli to the wire and could justifiably argue that they deserved to win. They are wished all the best for the rest of the season.
Pwllheli have no match on Saturday . Their next fixture is the local derby against Caernarfon RFC which takes place at the Club on Saturday 30 December.Before the game kicks off there will be a short ceremony to officially open the extension to the stand. The development includes seating for the first time at the Club. The work is to commemorate the sad and sudden loss of ex Pwllheli Youth captain Robin Llyr Evans. He died in a work related accident while working in China. The Club and Robin's parents have worked closely to ensure that the project is a fitting tribute to a fine young man who was cruelly taken at such a young age.
The opening will be undertaken by Doctor Dewi Roberts beginning at 2.10. This will be preceded by a match bettween Pwllheli and Caernarfon's Under 10 teams. The league match will kick off as always at 2.30.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos