Llanishen RFC | 1st Team 26 - 29 Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team
Osian Jones
1 Conversion
4 Penalty
Gwilym Parri
1 Try
Robin Jones
1 Try
Kevin Lee Morris
1 Try

Match Report
17 January 2017 / Team News

Llanishen RFC 26 Pwllheli RFC 29

Pwllheli made the long journey south with a much changed team. They arrived at Llanishen in  good time to stretch their legs as they prepared for this Swalec Plate fixture.After all the concerns  bout the weather conditions were ideal for rugby. There was little or no wind,the rain held off and it was mild for the time of year. The pitch was in fine condition. Llanishen had a heavyweight pack but it was the visitors who dominated the opening exchanges.They took the game to the hosts and it  took only two minutes to register their first score. Winning the ball thirty metres out they set up a

series of effective driving mauls which Llanishen were unable to counter. With the ball being well protected hooker and captain on the day Kevin Morris crashed over. The conversion attempt missed.    From  the restart Pwllheli managed the ball well. they patiently went through the phases with  forwards and backs supporting each other. After seven  minutes Pwllheli  made an incisive break with centre John Pugh deftly offloading to co-centre Ianto Parry. His power and pace took him beyond the cover to to score. Wing Osian Parry Jones' successful conversion put his side

in to a twelve points to nil lead. The match became peppered by injury stoppages and frequent

use of the whistle. Llanishen adapted the better and used their beefy pack to bludgeon the Pwllheli defence. On nineteen minutes it was Pwllheli who scored next. LLanishen were  penalised for killing the ball in a ruck and Osian Parry Jones duly added the three points to give his side a fifteen points  to nil lead. All thoughts of an easy ride were lost when Llanishen came back very strongly. They

took the ball right and Pwllheli's defence was sucked in to counter their heavier opponents. The  home side switched  the  ball left and their number eight Lewis Marshall crashed over for a try which was converted. Pwllheli were almost immediately rocked when on thirty  minutes Pwllheli had scrum half Robin Hughes Jones yellow carded for what was deemed to be a high tackle. There was no injury to the opposition player but the new directive to referee's does not seem to give them any  discretion. Worse was to come. On thirty three minutes the referee yellow carded Pwllheli's prop  Alwyn Ellis  for entering a maul from the side. It was inevitable that Llanishen would take advantage while Pwllheli were down to thirteen men and they duly did so on thirty four minutes. It was Lewis Marshall again who crossed for his second try  which was converted. To Pwllheli's great credit they upped the tempo of their game. They used their speedier backs to attack on the right. Llanishen

were forced to kill the ball in  an ensuing ruck and were penalised Osian Parry Jones' kick took the score to eighteen to twelve. Straight from the restart it was Llanishen who had a player yellow carded as he tackled a Pwllheli player in the air. There was no further  score in the first half.

The second half saw Pwllheli on the defensive as they still had one player off the pitch followeing the yellow cards. Pwllheli's scrum half returned to the fray but Pwllheli were bemused when centre Gary Lloyd Williams was their third player to be yellow carded. This time he was said to have

tackled without using his arms. Due advantage was taken within three minutes as Llanishen scored their third try. The conversion attempt was successful. For the first time in the game LLanishen held the lead   which stood at twenty one points to eighteen in their favour. It was Llanishen who lost the next player to a yellow card and Pwllheli struck back. From a set scrum ten metres out Robin Hughes

Jones saw the defence moving to cover Pwllheli's backs . He  darted through the gap to score to reclaim the lead for his side. The drama was not over. With Pwllheli  on the attack they lost possession deep in the own half.With Pwllheli's backs committed to attack Llanishen fly hacked the ball and won the chase for the touchdown. They now had a lead of twenty six points to twenty three. Pwllheli were not done..The score was equalised with an Osian Parry Jones penalty on sixty eight minutes. Despite being the away side Llanishen still would have taken the game e as they had outscored Pwllheli by four tries to three. Pwllheli had to score again.As the seconds passed the Pwllheli support became edgy but the players and coachces kept their composure. In the very last minute of the game Pwllheli were awarded a penalty and it was ace kicker Osian P.Jones who slotted the kick that won the match for the visitors. After the match centre John Pugh was awarded the Man

Of the Match by Llanishen. Pwllheli now move into the last eight clubs remaining in the Swalec Plate. Fingers are crossed for a home draw after been drawn away in the last three rounds. The Club once again wish to think the 80+ supporter who came to support the team. Their commitment is very

Much appreciated by all at The Club. Matches do not get any easier as Pwllheli host League leaders Nant Conwy at Bodegroes on Saturday.Kick off at 2.30. The result is  potentially pivotal to the outcome of the Division 1 North  this season. Come and support your team.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos