Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team 36 - 13 Llandudno RFC | 1st Team
Osian Jones
Try 1
Conversion 3
Robin Jones
Try 1
Nicholas Butterworth
Try 2
Geraint Parry
Try 1
Huw Williams
Try 1

Match Report
12 December 2016 / Team News

Pwllheli RFC 36 Llandudno RFC 13.

Conditions were ideal for rugby at Parc Bodegroes for the first home match since they played Ruthin on October 22. With the pitch in excellent condition supporters of both teams looked forward to a good game of rugby.

The Lleyn side though missing some key players took the ball to the opposition from the outset. For the first fifteen minutes they dominated both territory and possession. The Llandudno defence was up to the threat and they gradually loosened the early Pwllheli stranglehold. Kicking well and taking advantage of the light wind they cleared their lines and took play into the Pwllheli half. Though against the run of play the visitors took the lead on eighteen minutes with  a finely struck penalty by centre Ryan Pike. Pwllheli  kept their composure and gradually reasserted their edge .They worked the ball up to the Llandudno line and though Llandudno thwarted the initial thrust it was inevitable that a Pwllheli would score. The try came after twenty five minutes. Receiving clean ball from a driving maul scrum half and skipper Nick Butterworth crossed. Wing Osian Parry Jones added the two points. Pwllheli kept probing and on thirty three minutes it was number eight Huw Williams who bulldozed over to score. The superb touchline conversion put the home team fourteen to three points ahead. As half time neared Pwllheli fell off one tackle which was enough to give LLandudno their first try wide out. The conversion attempt by Pike drifted wide. In the closing seconds of the half Pwllheli attempted a long range penalty  but the kick drifted wide. The whistle went with no further score.

Llandudno's confidence had been boosted by their try and took play to Pwllheli ith a mixture of brawn and finesse. They had the bulk of possession but Pwllheli held firm.At the end of the third quarter there were clear signs that Pwllheli were rebuilding. Thier scrum now had the edge in the set and their line out was secure. Gradually the screw was turned and Llandudno put in a glut of tackles before they yielded. Pwllheli were awarded a penalty eight metres out but opted for the scrum. The scrum went down and again the visitors were penalised. Pwllheli remained patient and again decided to go for a scrum.  The Tudno eight were under pressure and following a quick pick up by Williams Butterworth was put in the clear and crossed unscathed to score.The conversion by Jones hit both posts before dropping over the crossbar.

Pwllheli were now more threatening when they got the ball and the enforced positional changes better evolved into their new role. It was second row Geraint Parry  who earned his side their bonus point score. Again a patient Pwllheli attack saw them recycle the ball several times before the gap opened for Parry. The conversion missed. Three minutes later it was Robin Hughes Jones playing at centre who used his pace and power to crash over. Again the kick missed. With five minutes left on the clock Llandudno try to clear their lines with a long kick towards touch. Fielding the ball in play right wing Osian Parry Jones made ground. He handed off his opposite number and beat the despairing covering defence to score wide out. To crown his effort he landed the acutely angled conversion.

Llandudno reaped their just rewards with a forty second minute try on Pwllheli's right hand corner. The unsuccessful kick at goal was the last act of a hard fought encounter.

Given that Pwllheli had not played a  match since October they will be pleased with the bonus point win which extends their unbeaten League record this season. This was exactly the test they needed and Llandudno pushed them all the way.This Saturday they face a different challenge as they travel to play Llanelli Wanderers in the Swalec Plate. With the earlier kick off time at 2.00 the Club have to leave their Bodegroes base at 7.15 to face the long coach journey down west. For further details contact the Club.

The second fifteen lost narrowly away to Bethesda on Friday night . Pwllheli Youths were clear winners against Caernarfon Youths at Bodegroes on Saturday.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos