Match not yet played or results not published.
Pwllheli RFC 1st Team
Abergele RFC 1st Team
22/04/2017 00:00

Match Report
23 April 2017 / Team News

Pwllheli RFC 127 Abergele RFC 0

This match was played in almost ideal rugby conditions. The weather was warm the pitch firm and only a slight breeze to have any impact on play. This was Pwllheli's final home game of the season and another good crowd turned out to support their team.
The opening minutes were torrid for the visitors. Pwllheli relished the firm  conditions and the match was played  at pace throughout. To their credit the Abergele pack competed well but once the ball was spread wide the Abergele side were exposed.Four minutes in Pwllheli took the ball into the Abergele twenty two. Several sniping runs were thwarted so Pwllheli resorted to bulk. Keeping the ball tight it was Pwllheli's eight Huw Williams who benefitted from a rolling maul to touch down. Osian Parry Jones added the conversion.From the restart Pwllheli kept possession. Several lateral runs committed the Abergele defence before Pwll's full back Danial Glyn Williams straightened the line and beat he cover to score. The conversion attempt missed.
Abergele had a good ten minutes. They had a hefty back line and for a time backs and forwards worked well together. They threatened the Pwllheli line more than once but the structure of the home defence stood them in good stead.On fourteen minutes Pwllheli broke from defence.They made ground before the Gele cover  and again the Gele line held but the inevitable came as Huw Williams again used his power to squeeze over. Parry Jones kick took the score to nineteen to nil to the Lleyn side.
The home team and its' supporters were very conscious of the need for try bonus point score. This came after a powerful run from left wing Robin Hughes Jones.The kick was added by Parry Jones. Three further tries were scored in quick succession through flanker Tom Parry, and centres Gareth Lloyd Williams and John Pugh. All were converted by wing Parry Jones. Once again the visitors had a good period of sustained play. Pwllheli''s defence was stretched but held. In the last move of the first half full back Danial Williams scored a long range range try. The conversion took the half time score to Pwllheli 54 - Abergele 0.
Abergele's defence was overwhelmed in the first eleven minutes of the second period. No fewer than five tries were scored as Gele failed to cope with Pwllheli's pace and interlinking between forwards and backs.Huw Williams achieved his hat-trick after only two minutes.He was followed on the score sheet two minutes later by flanker Alan Roberts.Centre Pugh scored next and he  was quickly followed by fellow centre Gareth Loyd Williams. Second row Pancho Campos added the fifth second half try after only eleven minutes. Four of the five touchdowns were majored by Osian Parry Jones.
Fifteen minutes in Pwllheli made changes from the bench. Within two minutes substitute wing Berwyn Jones used his pace to score wide out on the left.The touchline score was superbly converted by Osian Parry Jones. Though Abergele gave their all there was no let up from the ruthless Pwllheli XV. Further tries came from centre John  Pugh on twenty five minutes,captain Nick Butterworth a minute later.Twenty nine minutes into the match  Robin Hughes Jones got his brace to be followed by Butterworth again after thirty one minutes.All but the Hughes Jones try were dulu converted. The final try of the League/North Wales Cup double header came from prop Alwyn Trenholme who proceed to convert his own try.
In the Championship race the nineteen tries scored by Pwllheli v Abergele  mean that in 21 matches Nant Cowny have scored 163 tries, Pwllheli have scored the same number-163 - in the twenty league matches it has played.
The Conway Land Rover Man of the Match was Pwllheli's young centre prospect Gareth Lloyd Williams.
Pwllheli  RFC wish to congratulate Abergele RFC. They brought a full squad of twenty players and the scrums were competetive throughout. They earned the respect of all at Pwllheli.
A mention must be made of referee Haydn Owen. Sadly he is retiring from officiating this season. He will be missed and Pwllheli RFC wish him the best for the future.
Pwllheli are now at the sharp end of the season. They have three matches left and all are away. On Saturday they face a tough challenge as they travel  to Bala for their penultimate league match. The following week they play Mold, again in the League, on Saturday 6 May. The last match of the season is the Conway Land Rover North Wales Cup Final which is being played at Eirias Park on May 13. Kick ff is scheduled for 15.00.
The Club will be arranging coach travel to each of the three matches. Contact Club officials for details.
Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos