Caernarfon RFC | 1st Team 17 - 20 Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team
Osian Jones
2 Conversion
2 Penalty
Tomos Parry
1 Try
Ianto Sion Pari
1 Try

Match Report
13 April 2015 / Team News

Caernarfon RFC 17 Pwllheli RFC 20

Pwllheli knew that Caernarfon would be highly motivated for this match. The home side won the toss and they decided to play with the wind but against the pronounced slope in the first half. They set out their game plan early on. The battered Pwllheli via their centres and brought their number eight into play whenever hey could. Added to this was the astute kicking skills of veteran fly half Kelvin Morris and Pwllheli were pressed from the outset. Pwllheli's set pieces did not function too well all afternoon though their defensive skills were again very apparent. As the game progressed Pwllheli settled. They came close twice but solid defending kept them at bay. The visitors went ahead with a Osian P.Jones penalty which was cancelled out minutes later by a good effort from the Cofis fly half Kelvin Morris. The game was punctuated with many stoppages and this did not allow either side to get any consistent fluidity to their game. Half time came with the game tied at three points each. The second period saw the Pwllheli supporters- once again far outnumbering the home side's backers- come aliev and their vocal support spurred the team. When Caernarfon's RGC prop was binned for killing the ball Pwllheli took advantage. The penalty was kicked to touch. Pwllheli won theensuing line out and slipped the ball wide. Owain Williams ,Pwllheli's out half ,cut inside and as he was being tackled passed inside to the supporting flanker Tomos Billington to Parry to crash over. In the act of scoring he was caught by the boot studs of a defender. The try was awarded, the conversion kicked by Osian P.Jones , and a a penalty awarded to Pwllheli on the half way line. Osian P.Jones' kick cleared the cross bar by five metres to give Pwllheli a thirteen to three lead. The Lleyn side were now very much on top and it was no surprise when they added to the score ten minutes later through a try by centre Ianto Parri. Again Jones slotted the conversion. Pwllheli thought that their job was done but Caernarfon had different ideas. They upped their tempo and used the slope well. With eight minutes on the clock they scored a try following some concerted forward play. With Morris adding the conversion it was all of a sudden a ten point game. Caernarfon continued to press andt with the eccentric refereeing of the scrums they kept up the pressure. Pwllheli had a second row carded and once again Caernarfon took the opportunity. They wheeled Pwllheli's seven man scrum and their number eight Rhys Evans picked up and went blind. He outflanked the cover to score Inevitably Morris kicked the conversion. Sdaly for Caernarfon it was too little too late and pwllheli held out to take the spoils. As expected this was a tight competitive match with Pwllheli just about shading the honours. Whilst acknowledging Caernarfon's efforts Pwllheli did not play well. They know they will have to address some of the issues raised in the Caernarfon game if the are to get a home win on Saturday against Cobra. Cobra are a fine side and are always difficult to beat. The Club are hopeful that their sixteenth man - their superb supporters - will come out in droves on Saturday to support the team. This is the last home match at Bodegroes for the First XV this season and Pwllheli know they will have their work cut out if they are to retain their unbeaten home record which goes back to September 2013. Pwllheli's seconds trounced their Caernarfon opponents by over seventy points and Pwllheli Youths beat Caernarfon Youths at Pwllheli by ten points to nil. On Sunday Pwllheli Ladies beat Penlan Ladies by forty eight points to nil. They now face either Welshpool or Wattstown in the next round of the Vase Competition.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos