Colwyn Bay RFC | 1st Team 5 - 69 Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team
Daniel Glyn Williams
1 Try
Osian Jones
1 Try
6 Conversion
Gareth Williams
3 Try
John Llyr Pugh
1 Try
1 Conversion
Robin Jones
1 Try
Nicholas J. Butterworth
1 Try
Gwilym Parri
1 Try
Tomos Parry
2 Try

Match Report
26 September 2017 / Team News

Colwyn Bay RFC 5 Pwllheli RFC 69

Conditions are Brookfield Road were ideal for rugby. The rain held off and the pitch was in excellent condition. Once again the visiting supporters outnumbered those of the home side.
The Bay had chosen a heavyweight pack and it was clear from the outset that they would try to out-muscle the visitors. Despite the size disadvantage the early set pieces saw Pwllheli's pack competing well. Three minutes in the pack won quick ruck ball on the halfway  line.They moved the ball left and well timed passes put centre Gareth Lloyd Williams in the clear and his pace outstripped the cover for him to touch down wide out. The conversion attempt missed.
The home side came back strongly and the following ten minutes was their best period of the match. Pwllheli were however able to absorb the pressure and they countered from deep. The initial tackles slowed Pwllheli's attack but  Pwllheli went through the phases and a breach in the home defence was inevitable.On fifteen minutes it was Pwllhel;i's number eight Tom Parry who finished off a long range range attack to score his side's second try. Osian Parry Jones added the conversion. From the kick off Pwllheli retained possession and kept the ball tight in a series of driving mauls. They made ground and on eighteen minutes scrum half Gwilym Parry squeezed through for a try. Jones converted. The home team regrouped. The had equal shares of territory and possession but were unable to unlock the visitors defensive line.
The Lleyn side were relentless and began dominating any loose ball. This gave their backline the opportunities they needed. Twenty seven minutes in the ball was quickly moved right from a ruck. The ball was quickly passed on to right wing Osian Parry Jones. His pace and bulk saw him crash through two would be defenders to score his team's fourth and bonus point try. His conversion attempt missed. Once again the balance of play saw Bay have possession but their efforts were thwarted. The game now became a little disjointed with both teams guilty of  some untidy play. On thirty eight minutes Pwllheli's kept intercepted a loose pass and raced fully fifty metres to score under the posts.Jones converted to take the score to thirty one nil to the visitors. To their credit Colwyn Bay's heads did not go down. An astute kick gave them possession in the Pwllheli twenty two. After a series of drives they managed to touch down wide on the right. The conversion attemp missed.
Half Time Colwyn Bay 5 Pwllheli 31.
The second period was dominated by the visitors. Allowed the home players never game up it as soon apparent that there was no way back for them in this fixture.They remained competitive in several areas of play but were unable to cope with the pace of the Pwllheli  back line. The referee played advanatage whenever he could but the game was still a staccato affair with regular stoppages. Unfortunately there were also a fw injuries to the home side. In the third quarter of the game Colwyn Bay defended stoutly and conceded only one try - a second for Pwllheli centre Gareth Lloyd Williams which was converted by Jones. As the home pack began to tire Pwllheli added a further five tries in the last quarter. Number eight Parry notched his second on twenty three minutes. He was followed two minutes later by left wing Robin Hughes Jones. Both were majored by Osian Parry Jones. A long range solo effort by John Pugh came after thirty minutes and he converted his own score. Two more tries were scored -one by full back Danial Glyn Williams and a third by centre Lloyd Williams.
Pwllheli now face a tough match at Bodegroes on Saturday. Visitors are Ruthin RFC fresh from their win over title aspirants Nant Conwy. Pwllheli know they will need to be at their best if they are to retain their position as league leaders. The club are grateful to Dave Cummings Builders for being match sponsors and LLyn Computers for being Match Ball sponsors.
Pwllheli Seconds beat a competitive Machynlleth side by 28-24 to move to the top of Division 3 . They are away to Benllech on Saturday in another League fixture.
Pwll's Youth side won away by 43 - 0 in a friendly match as Holyhead were unable to filed a side for the scheduled League match.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos