Ruthin RFC | 1st Team 3 - 46 Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team
Nathan Huw Jones
Penalty 1
Osian Jones
1 Try
5 Conversion
2 Penalty
Gareth Williams
1 Try
John Llyr Pugh
2 Try
Nicholas J. Butterworth
2 Try

Match Report
13 March 2017 / Team News

Ruthin RFC 3 Pwllheli RFC 46.

Conditions were excellent for rugby for this fixture. The ground and been well rolled and there was no significant breeze to impact on the game.

The young and talented side started much the better. Ruthin's  fly half, Tom Seddon  who was on permit from the RGC, distributed the ball well and was able to put his chunky centres into space. Pwllheli were penalised for offside after only two minutes and Ruthin's Nathan Jones  duly slotted the kick.The home side kept up the pressure and pierced the LLeyn team's first line of defence with worrying regularity.-It was only last ditch defence which kept them out. The match was played at a frantic pace as Ruthin threw the kitchen sink at Pwllheli. Though Ruthin dominated the first quarter they crucially were unable to add to their early score. On eighteen minutes Pwllheli were rocked when they lost centre Ianto Parri through injury  but they weathered the storm orchestrated by RGC player Seddon at fly half.

Pwllheli gradually turned the screw up front and began edging the set and loose play. They wrested territorial dominance away from the hosts and started creating their own opportunities. Ruthin were still dangerous when they span the ball wide but the LLeyn side's backline came to terms with Ruthin's angles of running and the threats diminished in frequency. Pwllheli's pack took the initiative. They used the driving maul effectively and were able to suck in Ruthin's cover. On thirty minutes the tactic paid dividends .Pwllheli's pack drove the ball from a line-out and made fully twenty metres. This gave their skipper and scrum half Nick Butterworth the opportunity to squeeze over  for a try. Right wing Osian Parry Jones added the conversion to give Pwllheli an unlikely lead. Only three minutes later Ruthin had a player yellow carded for foul play. Osian Parry Jones duly obliged with a well struck penalty. With Ruthin struggling with only fourteen men Pwllheli took full advantage. Pwllheli steamrolled again towards the Ruthin line. Brave defence kept the Lleyn side out for several phases but the cover succumbed on thirty eight minutes when replacement centre Gareth Lloyd Williams crashed over. Parry Jones added the two points.

Half time came with Pwllheli leading by seventeen points to three.

Ruthin started the second period with intent but after only three minutes Pwllheli's fly half John Pugh latched on to a drop pass. He fly kicked ahead and beat the cover for pace to score under the posts. Again Osian Parry Jones added the conversion.On seven minutes Pwllheli had  a centre yellow carded but it was they who responded the better. With Ruthin kicking the ball long out of defence  it was fielded by full back Danial Williams. He made ground on the right before passing to the supporting Osian Parry Jones. He used his power and pace to beat four would be tacklers before scoring wide out. Thi sgave his side what could be a very important try bonus point .Parry Jones' conversion was the kick of the match and gave his side a twenty eight point lead.

The Lleyn team then made a raft of substitutions and the fresh legs gave them added impetus. With the back row winning the loose ball  and the pack edging the scrums the pressure on Ruthin mounted. On twenty three minutes Pwllheli's ten John Pugh scored his second try as he was put in the clear. Parry Jones slotted the conversion. To their credit Ruthin did not throw in the towel and tried to  rally their cause. As it was Pwllheli's structured defence stood firm and the visitors had the last say when Butterworth added his side 's sixth try. This was to be the last score of the match as Jones was unable to add the conversion. 

This was a strong performance by Pwllheli who had to dig deep but won the match through resilience,team spirit ,organisation and discipline. They did well to absorb the early pressure.They did not panic and kept their shape. Gradually Pwllheli were able to exert forward dominance and this laid the foundation of their success. They did not cross Ruthin's line until the thirtieth minute but ended up with a six try haul and impressively did not  concede a score after Ruthin's second minute penalty.The margin of the win far exceeded anything the Club have previously scored at this proud club. Players and coach are well aware that there is much work to be done as they face a difficult end to the season but the willingness and commitment was very evident throughout this match.

Pwllheli  have a 12.00 kick off time on Saturday in the away  North Wales Cup Quarter Final match against neighbours Caernarfon. Pwllheli will be very wary of the fixture given Caernarfon's recent home success against league leaders Nannt Conwy. As always the Lleyn side will prepare well and will respect the real threat these opponents pose.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos