Ruthin RFC | 1st Team 41 - 26 Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team
Harry Wyn Morgan
Try 2
Lewis Isaac
Try 1
Joshua Wilson
Try 2
Deion Lloyd Williams
Conversion 4
Penalty 1
Elgan Davies
1 Try
Osian Jones
2 Conversion
1 Penalty
Robin Jones
1 Try
Nicholas J. Butterworth
2 Try

Match Report
14 October 2015 / Team News

Ruthin RFC 41 Pwllheli RFC 27

Pitch conditions were excellent for the game . Pwllheli's arrangements meant that they arrived in sufficient time to go through their usual match preparations. True Pwllheli travelled with only two subs and had key players missing but the reality is that they hoped and expected to maintain their League run which meant that they had not lost a league match in over a year.Unfortunately no-one had told Ruthin of the script.

It took Ruthin only three minutes to score their first try. The move was straightforward but Pwllheli missed the first up tackle and wing Josh Wilson took full advantage. Pwllheli responded well and took the game to the home side. They kept the ball tight and after several phases scrum half and captain Nick Butterworth was able to crash over under the posts. Manu Acebo added the two points. With Ruthin running he ball out of defence Pwllheli struggled to contain the bulky threequarters. Nonetheless it was Pwllheli who scored next on sixteen minutes with a long range penalty from wing Osian P.Jones. Now it Ruthin's turn to turn on the afterburners. Pwllheli's enforced changes in their backs resulted in a disjointed defensive alignment and in fifteen minutes Ruthin had secured their try bonus point. The onslaught began with a try from centre Harri Morgan   on nineteen minutes and he added his second six minutes later. Both tries were converted by D.Lloyd Williams . Pwllheli were then able to match Ruthin both territorially and in terms of possession and the equality between the packs was maintained throughout the game. Despite Pwllheli's efforts it was Ruthin who scored next. Once again it was a breakaway with fullback Lewis Isaac scoring his side's bonus point try. Lloyd Williams again added the conversion.

Half time score Ruthin 26 Pwllheli 10.

The second period started with the same pattern. The Lleyn side were competed strongly in the rucks and mauls and in all facets of open play. Their set pieces were strong  but when the ball was spread wide the much changed back line was exposed. It took Ruthin six minutes to add to their score with a try from scrum half Steffan Morgan. Pwllheli then dug deep and pressed the Ruthin line. The home side conceded five consecutive penalties in the red zone but the frustrated Pwllheli side finally scored on twenty minutes with a try from prop Elgan Davies who was playing his first match of the season. Ruthin added to their lead on thirty four minutes with a Lloyd Williams penalty to take the score to thirty four to fifteen in their favour. Pwllheli scored next with another try by Butterworth but the result was sealed with a Josh Wilson try  and yet another Lloyd Williams conversion. Pwllheli had some solace with a bonus point try at the death by centre Robin Hughes Jones and conversion by Acebo.

Ruthin thoroughly deserved their win and the score will be a massive wake up call for the current League Champions.Pwllheli are away to Caernarfon on Saturday in the first round of the Swalec Plate Caernarfon's hopes will have been boosted by the Ruthin result but fortunately this is one of the fixtures where motivation will not be an issue.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos